Friday, January 17, 2014

A Sorgh Winner--Gluten-Free Sorghum Blueberry Muffins

Start by listening to this song:
Dear readers, we here on the East Coast survived the great freeze by wearing our Yeti pajamas--mine have Yetis on them that say "Rawr." YOLO=Yetis Own; Lovely Ogres. Since my last entry, I also wrote an appropriately frigid-temperature-defying Crossfade Roulette.


 I also made an appropriately subversive Christmas card because Hallmark is lame and I always craft my own cards (taking custom order now so here's your chance to be cool for Valentine's Day ;). Anything less would be uncivilized! And remember--don't take any chances; always mask up when rioting! And this is also why you must watch the documentary The Square for all of your activist, black bloc needs. And now that I have us on the subject of North Africa (don't even ask how long it took me to think of this oh-so-clever segue), I want to talk about sorghum! Quinoa: so 2013. 2014, the year of sorghum, if I have anything to say about it!


As I was going on and on about this in the previous entry, I am not big on recipes. Generally, in the realm of baking, that tends to spell disaster, BUT I can honestly say I totally invented this recipe by eye-balling the consistency of the batter and tasting (added perk of vegan baking is you do not have to worry about a premature death due to salmonella--ha!). I did, however, finally make it a point to measure for you, my dear readers, so you may feel confident in trying this out. Also, whoever said you need apple sauce for vegan baking be jivin'. Ain't nobody got time for fifty million ingredients.

My Tunisian friend Lotfi turned me onto this magical grain, which is used to make something called droh or sorghum cream in Tunisia, and is about as close to ambrosia as it gets for me! I could eat this stuff on the daily--in fact, dreaming about it right now. Imagine my delight then when I found sorghum flour in my neighborhood Middle Eastern store (which also has everything else a girl could want)! It is actually made in India, who much like the smart Tunisian people, also use this super healthy grain. I noticed, however, that you can find this flour in Whole Bucks as well, or at least find the sorghum grain (made by Bob's Red Mill) and grind the flour up yourself in a handy coffee mill. This spurred me to create these incredibly delicious sorghum blueberry muffins, which I also realized are gluten-free since sorghum does not contain gluten. Mind you, I eat plenty of gluten myself--I mean I am Eastern European for Pete's sakes. We eat everything with a side of bread. Bread with a side of bread, too.
So, don't be a sore loser; be a sorghum winner (groan-inducing puns, I has them!)


Gluten-Free Sorghum Blueberry Vegan Muffins



2C sorghum flour
1/3C ground flax seeds=flax meal
2t baking powder
1C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/3C water
1t almond extract
2t cinnamon
1t cardamom
1/4C honey
1/4C olive oil
1 container of fresh blueberries (I am sure it would work with frozen too; I have just not tried it, but 1C of frozen is a good measure)

Mix the dry ingredients first; add the wet ones. Don't overstir. Preheat over to 375 and bake for about 20-30 mins. The sorghum has a slightly greenish tint to it--nothing to worry about. If the batter is too dense, just add a little more water.
 I welcome your comments, sorgh winners :)

No comments:

Post a Comment