Thursday, July 12, 2012

Turn That Frown Upside Down Peach Cake

I am back, my lovelies. Cookifyin' has been progressing at a steady clip and I have been taking pictures/notes, but have not had a chance to update much due to other writing endeavors, working far too much, and yoga-fying.  I am now training to be a yoga teacher, where I shall pioneer a new form of asana=>bass-ana, because my love for bass is boundless :). No more, however--to prove my seriousness, I even shot a video to go along with this post. I promise to get more active on this blog as I think my outlier perspective needs to be represented. Anthropologist Toni [aka me] has divided cooking blogs into two categories: a. insufferable women who sing insufferable paeans to their lovely husbands/boyfriends ad noiseam/have turned their blogs into some sort of trumped-up, saccharine odes to domesticity and b. people who *think* they know about "ethnic" cuisine and instead post nonsense like make Thai curry using vegetables that do not even grow in Thailand.

 Well, my readers, I am neither one of those bloggers. For one, my "measuring is for fools" approach [I joke as I say this, but to me, a recipe is a jumping off point and a general guideline, if you will...a roadmap that you then embelish upon], much akin to "studying is for fools" [clever, no?], will propel thee to the heights of culinary mastery because *real* chefs do not measure :).  So, no, you won't find me telling you how much tahini you should put in hummus because I want you to woman up and figure it out! At any rate, however, my loathing of measuring has met against the brick wall of baking at times. I am a cook, not a baker, definitely, but recently, I have been dabbling in bread baking and sweets as well and I discovered that my laissez-faire approach even in this arena is not as disaster-producing as you might guess.  Case in point, I took this Martha Stewart upside-down cranberry cake recipe and started adding things as I go along--Meyer lemons, limes, cardamom, you name it.  "Whatever, Martha!" Although, let me tell you I have the greatest respect for her--just not quiet the domestic maven she is.


First, I want you to play this song to get yourself amped up and reminded that "Damn it, I am a human being!" Then once you are properly reminded of your humanity, head to the kitchen and whip up this gem :)


Persimmonious Upside-Down Peach Cake from Toni T on Vimeo.
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4C brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 ripe peaches
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 lime--rind and juice
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center. Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan; arrange peaches in a single layer on top. Juice and zest half a lime and add to the peaches.
  2. With an electric mixer, cream remaining 6 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat until well combined. Add juice from the other half lime. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the almond milk, until well combined.
  3. Spoon batter over peaches in pan, and smooth top. Place pan on a baking sheet; bake cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert onto a rimmed platter.





1 comment:

  1. I used this recipe to make a blueberry upside down cake, and it turned out to be absolutely delicious. Toni is the best!

    ReplyDelete