Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Down In A Hole, Feeling So Small..." Eggs-In-A-Hole


Sorry, the Alice in Chains reference was a little obvious there, but I got a kick out of it, nevertheless. I am easily amused.

So, let's talk eggs. Or better yet, let's talk breakfast and a battle of epic proportions. No, it’s not a land war in Russia in winter, although it’s equally ferocious—it’s liquid yolk vs. solid yolk. Many a relationship has ended over this very debate [I kid…although I know several friends who have had this very fight with their in/significant others]. There is nothing I detest more than an omelet cooked to a flat eggboard consistency [useful for garnish but not much else] or sunny side up eggs that do not release a delicious golden pool of yolky goodness at the fork’s touch. Sacrilege!

For me, breakfast has always been the most momentous and favorite of meals. It sets the tone for the day and on weekends, it is so languorous. It has leisure…and love written all over it. So, it should not be messed up. This is why I present to you, a fail-proof and very feminist [I cringed at that one too, no worries] breakfast--eggs-in-a-hole. Otherwise known as toad-in-a-hole.


1. Melt 1T of butter in a pan on medium heat. This is crucial for the entire process--medium-low heat. Do not go nuts with the power.

2. Take a slice of bread. Cut a hole in the bread, either with a biscuit cutter, a glass, or a knife [I used a knife since I had none of the above--worked a-OK]. Very important note: one of the contestants on Top Chef whose name escapes me now had this brilliant idea to make a French toast eggs-in-a-hole. I tried it myself and it worked admirably. You are welcome to do that. To that end--beat an egg with a splash of milk and some cinnamon and salt and then dip the bread slice in the mixture first.

3. The butter should have melted by now and have a lovely foamy residue. Put the bread in the pan, crack an egg in the hole, season with salt and pepper. Cook it on the low-medium heat for maybe 3 minutes. You are not trying to cook the egg all the way through, remember? Or maybe you are...who am I to judge! If you are, maybe 5 minutes.

4. Turn the slice of bread over. Oh, I used Afghani bread for this, which is super yummy due to being cooked in a tandoor oven, but really you can use any bread. Except Wonder--because that is *not* bread.

5. Serve drizzled with maple syrup if you made it French toast style or with hot sauce otherwise. I also made a lovely little salad of tomatoes, green peppers, pomegranates, basil, pomegranate syrup + olive oil as the dressing.

2 comments:

  1. Rin and I made this (well, okay, she made it for both of us) recently. We did end up using homogeneous store-loaf for the bread component, but it still turned out tasty. Really good with bacon, for those who are of the meat-eating persuasion :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you could serve it with some fresh grapefruit as a side + prosciutto on top of the bread :)

    ReplyDelete