Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Hip To Be Sage


So, you made the gravy from the last post and now have massive amounts of fresh sage--what to do!? [yes, I realize this must be *such a commonplace problem*]. Or you were making stuffing at Thanksgiving and have some fresh sage leftover from that...Well, time to make this acorn squash + sage farfalle. Easy peasy.

Cook about half box of farfalle according to package directions [whole wheat]. In the mean time, roast an acorn squash in the oven--in case you haven't done this, it couldn't be easier. Do not be daunted, my friends. Slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, and simply roast at a high temperature. It is done when it is soft.

Start caramelizing some white onions on the stove top. Next add chipotle pepper powder to this--I find that anything "Mexicany" is really good friends with squash, but the smoky flavor of the chipotle pepper is especially wonderful here. You could also try nutmeg. Julienne some sage and throw that in there as well.

After the pasta is cooked and drained, mix it with the chopped roasted acorn squash. Throw copious amounts of nutritional yeast on top and some sage as a garnish.
I can think of several other good permutations on this...pine nuts, pepitas...

Finally, I have decided to throw in a track or two with my posts. Initially, I was going to theme them, but instead let me just do a "Hey, you should check this out." So, here's a remix of Esthero.
Esthero - Thank Heaven 4 You (Freddie Joachim Vibe Out Remix) by freddiejoachim

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Just one thing - number your directions, please. =) Writing them story style = not always easy to follow...Regardless, I'm delighted you're back on track w/ the blog. Keep it up, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its time you made this for me! I love caramelized onions esp pearl ones

    ReplyDelete