Friday, December 31, 2010

Beans, Beans, The Lucky Fruit

So, this is a long-delayed Christmas-NYE hybrid post in 2 parts. I have amassed a metric ton of things I want to talk about, but my discussion of horrible Christmas songs is slightly mis-apropos at this point so I will only say this: "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" have got to be the most inane, and in the case of the former, borderline heebie-jeebie-inducing carols evah! I mean, seriously!? I don't know what is worse--the fact that some child is skulking around, glibly commenting on adultery or that some poor Dad is forced to dress like Santa Claus. In other words, I cannot decide if I feel worse for the kid for being traumatized or worse for the parents who have a kid who immortalizes their sex life in song. But enough of the bah-humbug, lest you, my dear reader think I am a holiday-hater, a Hatorade partaker, which I am so not.

In fact, I am such a holiday lover that this year, I took extra precautions to ascertain I have a lucky 2011 :) To that end, I made *phenomenal* [if I do say so myself] black-eyed peas.
Here is what you do:
1. Soak black-eyed peas overnight, changing the water several times.
2. In a pan, saute one chopped red onion [white is OK too] and garlic [2-3 cloves] in some olive oil.
3. In the mean time, cook the black-eyed peas either in a pressure cooker or a regular pot.
4. Add 1-2 teaspoons of cumin [crucial addition], along with somethings spicy-ish, preferably chipotle pepper flakes If you are a hotness wuss or a Bulgarian, forget the spicy part. Also, add a teaspoon or two of fresh or dry sage.
5. Add the sauteed onion mixture into the black-eyed peas when they are halfway through cooking. Salt as needed.
6. Voila! This could be garnished with some fresh lime, I find apple-tasting things also work well like apple cider vinegar, any other vinegar, but even plain, they are delicious.

Also, notice my obsessively-prepared fruit-plate. According to some traditions, it is good to have circular foods for New Year's, like donuts, bagels, round fruits. And thirteen appears to be a lucky number so...boy, it's pretty apparent I am desperate for some good mojo, huh? I am even wearing yellow polka-dotted underwear. "My pockets stuck on overload, my rain never evaporates" will be the outcome. Maybe even "rubberband banks in my pocket."

P.S. When that happens, I am hiring a Lloyd Dobbler-like person to follow me around with a jukebox everywhere, blasting Rick Ross' "Hustlin'" or something boss like that.

Anyway, my dear friends, I wanted to wish everyone a very happy new year.

4 comments:

  1. Funny!! But i think those black eyes peas need a naan or rice to go along in this to be lucky 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, naan most def :) Or chapatis :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I had no idea how to cook black eyed peas without using some sort of smoked and salt cured pork product...they sound very good and I'll have to give them a try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tasted great! Not like your typical black beans they had an hint of red pepper which was a welcome addition to your typical black bean dish I am use to from South Florida.

    ReplyDelete